After Soft Tissue Biopsy
- Use gauze pads with pressure over the area, changing them every 20-30 minutes until they turn a light pink color.
- Something cold like ice chips/small ice cubes or popsicles should be placed directly on the surgical site to minimize swelling. This is most effective when done in the first 24-48 hours.
- After 48 hours, hot saline soaks are to be used. This is done by taking 12 oz of hot water (as hot as possible without burning the inside of the mouth) and mixing it with 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Hold this solution in the surgical site, without swishing, until the water cools. This should take at least 10 minutes to perform and should be done 4-5 times per day.
- The day of the procedure it is best to eat cold, soft foods. Examples include ice cream, jello, yogurt and applesauce.
- Hot or cold softer foods can be eaten after the first day. Examples include mashed potatoes, pasta, soups and scrambled eggs.
- Do not have any hard, sharp and crunchy foods for up to 4-6 weeks. This includes tortilla chips, popcorn, tacos with hard shells and nuts.